Polybags are among the most practical and popular packaging materials available and are ideal for a massive range of industrial, commercial and retail applications.
We have one of the widest selections you are likely to find online, with everything from light duty 20 micron bags to heavy duty polythene bags capable of holding contents weighing up to 25kg. Clear polythene bags are used for everything from storing nuts, bolts and other small parts to lining cardboard boxes.
They can be quickly and effectively sealed using a range of items such as heat sealers, wire ties and bag sealing tape, so whatever you are using them to store, you can make sure it stays safe and clean at all times.
Made from high quality polythene, most of our polybags are also food grade which means that they provide hygienic protection against dust and moisture while at the same time keeping the contents visible.
Why choose polythene for packaging
- Polythene is produced more than any other polymer. It can be processed and reprocessed into many different products.
- Polythene products are not biodegradable. Polythene is phot-odegradable. It will breakdown in sunlight in about 12 months.
- Polyethylene plastic consists of a thermoplastic material and is used in a variety of consumer products.
- Polythene is strong, lightweight, water resistant and can endure excessive temperatures.
- Polythene has superb moisture resistance and durability make it the ideal choice for industrial packaging supplies.
Low density polyethylene verse high density polyethylene
- Low density polyethylene (LDPE) is flexible and soft.
- High density polyethylene (HDPE) is crispy and cloudy in appearance.
Poly bag size calculation
|Lining a box||
Poly bag seal types
- Seal is term used to describe bottom of a poly bag.
- Star seal is a multi-layered seal is full gusseted and then folded prior to sealing, allowing for the weight to be evenly distributed.
- Gusset seals is a flat-style bag manufactured with both sides tucked in to form gussets.
- Flat seal is a straight seal along bottom of a poly bag (like a pillow case).
Poly bag weight formula
- Width × length × gauge / 1500 = lbs per 1000 bags / 2.205 = kgs per 1000 bags
- Weight for 1000 12 × 18" 100 gauge polythene bags is 12 × 18 × 100g / 1500 = 14.4lbs / 2.205 = 6.53kgs per 1000 bags
- Weight for 1000 24 × 32 × 60" 100 gauge gusset bags is 32 (full opening) × 60 × 100g / 1500 = 128lbs / 2.205 = 58.04kgs per 1000 bags
- Weight for 1000 12 × 18 + 2" 150 gauge self seal polypropylene bags (for flap divide by 2 and add into length) is 12 × 19 × 150g / 1500 = 22.8lbs / 2.205 = 10.34kgs per 1000 bags
Poly bag size explanation
- The size specification of a polythene bag can be confusing. They are typically defined by size and gauge.
- If two dimensions are specified. For example 20 x 30. This means the bag is 20 inches wide and 30 inches long. These sizes refer to bag being laid flat.
- If three sizes are specified. This means the bag has a gusset.
- Some bags have a gusset at the sides to help the bag open out more and enable a greater volume of items to be put in. A good example is a refuse sack. If a refuse sack is 16" × 25" × 39" this means it is 16" wide opening to 25" wide when the gusset is opened with a bag length of 39".
- Some bags have a gusset at the bottom to enable a wide product to fit in. A good example is a carrier bag. If a carrier bag is 15" × 18" + 3" then the bag is 15" wide by 18" long with a bottom gusset of 3".
- For a explanation of gauge please refer to our gauge thickness guide.