Carrier bags packaging guide
Types of carrier bags
|Paper carrier bags|
- Paper carrier bags are low cost, made from strong kraft paper and available in brown/white paper.
- These carrier bags come with a stylish twisted paper cord handle which makes it easy to carry without cutting into your hand.
- Brown paper bags are cheap, recyclable and degradable.
|Patch handle carrier bags|
- The classic shopping bag for high street stores.
- Patch handle carriers are made from thicker polythene and have a reinforced patch handle.
- They are available in white or clear polythene.
|Vest carrier bags|
- Vest carrier are commonly used carrier bags.
- They are popular with supermarkets, grocery stores and market traders.
- Vest carriers are made from high density polythene which has acrinkly feel.
Paper used in paper carrier bags
- A high quality paper in terms of strength.
- Made from paper pulp that has long individual fibres which give a resistance to tearing.
- A highly processed pulp which has shorter fibres than kraft.
- The paper has more bulk to compensate and is more economical than kraft.
- Papers have a coating on the surface to make them smoother.
Plastic used in carrier bags
- Low density polyethylene is recognisable by the soft feel of the polythene and its stretchiness.
- LDPE is excellent for carrier bags because of its stretch and resistance to puncturing and tearing.
- High density polyethylene has a more crinkly, paper-like feel than LDPE.
- HDPE is immensely strong but tends to give way without warning.
- LDPE/HDPE is referred to as frosted film.
- It is a mixture of HDPE and LDPE.
- The stretchiness of LDPE and the texture and toughness of HDPE.
- The frosted semi translucent look is the natural colour of the material without any additional pigment added.
- A mineral oil based polythene made with no additives and is recyclable and combustible with no toxicity.
- A mineral oil based polythene has an additive to accelerate fragmentation and degradation over a specified period.
Carrier bags packaging guide last updated: Nov-2021